Winning an ESPY is pretty cool, but Babe of the Week? Yeah, big week for Paige Bueckers.
Paige took home the award for Best College Athlete (Women’s Sports) this past week at the ESPYs, and it was more than deserved. Paige is a stellar basketball player at UConn. Upon researching the young star’s career highlights, I got overwhelmed because she is that special of a player. Here are all the awards she won so far:
- 2021 Wooden Award winner
- 2021 Naismith Trophy winner
- 2021 AP Player of the Year
- 2021 USBWA Player and Freshman of the Year
- 2021 WBCA, AP and USBWA First Team All-American
- 2021 WBCA Freshman of the Year
- 2021 Final Four All-Tournament Team
- 2021 NCAA Tournament River Walk Region Most Outstanding Player
- 2021 BIG EAST Player and Freshman of the Year
- 2021 BIG EAST Tournament Most Outstanding Player
- 2021 All-BIG EAST First Team
- 2021 BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
- 2021 espnW Player and Freshman of the Year
On top of that, she made the UConn record books for breaking the single-game assist record and is the Freshman season record holder for assists. Yeesh, do less, Paige.
Most important to note is that Paige used her ESPYs acceptance speech to shine the spotlight on black women and their importance to the game of basketball and sports, calling out sports media for failing to appreciate their accomplisments and contribution to the sport. She said:
With the light that I have now as a white woman who leads a Black-led sport and celebrated here, I want to shed a light on Black women. They don’t get the media coverage they deserve. They’ve given so much to the sport, the community and society as a whole and their value is undeniable.
She also called out sports media ON ESPN. That’s like Beyonce releasing Lemonade exclusively on Tidal. Badass. She went on to say this:
Sports media holds the key to storylines. Sports media and sponsors tell us who was valuable, and you have told the world that I mattered today, and everyone who voted, thank you. But I think we should use this power together to also celebrate Black women.
We applaud Paige for using her platform for good, because feminism should be intersectional. Women get ignored by sports media and black women get ignored even more. Thank you, Paige, for using your platform to hold up other women, especially women of color. You’re a babe!